Sunday, October 17, 2010

Home Again, Home Again

Okay. So... I have been out and about. I have loved my traveling experiences. But let's get down to brass tacks. The real reason for me being here is to teach english. I am sure you would all like to hear about that.
I LOVE it!!! I love the kids so so much! I can't even tell you! This week I taught kitchen. We made blueberry buckle (which was really just blueberry muffins), Biscuits, fruit pizzas, ants on a log, and my personal favorite, no bake cookies. Oh boy did I love it! not only were the kids pretty well behaved, but I got to snack all morning. I tell ya, that food really keeps their attention. HA. I think that I would teach kitchen EVERY week. besides that it gets pretty expensive. It seems that we have other supplies in plenty, but kitchen is lacking. If you ever plan to teach with ILP I reccomend bringing things like powder sugar and baking soda and yeast. Maybe I can find it here, but I haven't yet. The fruit here is really good though.
Okay, Okay. Enough of that food tangent. The kids seem to be picking up english pretty well. I mean, they aren't fluent yet, but we're getting there. By the time we are finished, these kids will be PRO! ;)
This week I was lucky enough to go on a home visit with our Native Coordinators. Actually, two. We went to 2 different houses in one night. Sharalynn, and Kevin.
Sharalynn: Her house first of all, was BEAUTIFUL. It was huge! the floors were marble and they had a HUGE chandelier! You get it, they were pretty well off. But Sharalynn sat her couch and hid behind her stuffed animal cow. The 2 other girls and I sat there, quiet for the most part, while the other Chinese teachers talked to her parents in Chinese. The parents actually lived in Canada for a while. That is where they met. They spoke english pretty well. So that was fun.
But then there was Kevin: It was just him and his mom. His mom didn't know much english at all. But Kevin, he wanted to show us every toy he owned. He was bringing out one at a time. but then, he brought out his whole box and dumped it on the ground!! Then he took to throwing a top around the room. It became a game of hot potato between Kandace, him and I. His mom only cut in when he started throwing the oranges off the table at us. But she did let us each take one when we left.
It was a good time. I liked it, and can't wait to go on more.
We also got an awesome oppertunity to help some people practice their English. On Saturday we were invited to attend this activity where a bunch of Natives would get together with other people that spoke english so that they could practice. We got some free food, then we got fitted for a free pair of tailored jeans, and then we got to play games and hang out and mingle. We were just there so that they could practice. I made friends with a group of students about my age. Vera was the name of the girl that sat by me on the bus. They took us to a park to go on a "hike" (a short walk up some stairs) and then we watched as the little kids played some games. I was excited to see one of my students there. Tiger. In class he is a little bit of a pain, likes to run around, doesn't like to listen, likes to distract the other students. But here, he was actually really shy.
Anyways it was fun just to hang out, and it gave us something to do. And now I know where to find a good park. Maybe I'll go fly a kite sometime. that seems to be a popular activity here.
Well. There is my first blog. ever. I swore I would never do this, but here I am. Hope you Enjoy!
Day 52

2 comments:

  1. Hi Lauren, I enjoyed your blog letter. Like I said before your writing is excellent. Your family went to Disneyland UEA weekend but the other cousins (except Flora Jane) stayed with me and we had a faux campout in the back yard and it was great. Grampa pulled the tent trailer down into the back yard and we camped out for two days. There was water in the creek so we had our own mountain stream. We cooked out, hiked, had a treasure hunt and nature walk, etc. The kids had so much fun together and I didn't even mind sleeping with Hannah in the tent trailer. Your little Kevin sounds like one of the kids in my primary class. But I love him anyhow. Loves, Gram

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Elmer,
    Great blog post. I loved the pictures you sent me. I sure miss you.
    Love, Aunt Julie

    ReplyDelete