Friday, November 26, 2010

You eat your turkey, I'll eat my... PIZZA?!

There is one crazy thing about China... Okay, Okay, there are a bunch of crazy things. But right now, I am just going to tell you about one. You will be walking down the street one day and you will see a pile of rubble inside an old worn down building. It has been there since the day we got there. Then, about 3 days later you walk by again and now that pile of rubble is suddenly a convenient store! Things go up in a snap! These Chinese really know how to work fast. It's awesome. Well behind our school there is a whole, let's say: "strip mall". Actually, let's say "Ghost strip mall"? It's totally abandoned, except for the fruit market; well, it was. Now there is a Deli/Pizza place (just like the one beneath us), an imported goods store, a Chinese restaurant, some photo place (I'm not so sure what exactly but, I saw a bunch of people and it looked like they were having a photo shoot inside), and most recently, a Pizza Stop. Can you believe so many pizza places?! Well, this is the best one yet.
We wanted to have a Pot Luck Turkey Dinner with our whole group. Like a family. We thought it would bring us "together". HA! Don't get me wrong, my group is... GREAT! but, I don't think everyone cares to feel like a great big family. Jadan and I started a signup sheet to pass around. We were so excited! Get everyone together for dinner... yeah right!
-"We would rather go to McDonalds"
-"Oh, we already have plans to go to KFC"
-"Are the boys going to be there?"
-Hmmm... Guess no one is home....
Okay, so we were the only ones that wanted it to be a big group thing. Guess we'll have to downplay thanksgiving dinner this year then... It is, after all, an American holiday, and in case you haven't noticed, We're in China.
So we had to make different plans. Pizza Stop it is.
Jadan, Kandace and I all tried the Hawaiian Chicken Pizza. It was Delicious!!! It tasted like an Enchilada. Yeah, dunno how that happened. But it was the best thing since the wagon wheel!! ha ha. And Alicia tried the Italian. It wasn't thanksgiving dinner. But it was still fun. In China they like to bring out everyone's food one plate at a time. So we waited for everyone to get their pizza before we ...dug? in. While we were waiting we went around the table and said things we were thankful for. Just because we didn't have a turkey feast doesn't mean we have to downplay the thanks giving part...
I hope everyone really did take a minute to think about everything they have been blessed with; and if you haven't yet, do it now. There really is so much to be thankful for! Take a minute to think about the things you have been given. Think about all the things you take for granted. What would life be like without those things? Think of the little things that make you smile. Isn't life just great?
Here is a short list of things I am grateful for:
A mom and dad who love me and care for me. Having the Gospel in my life. Knowledge of My Heavenly Father and his love for me. Brothers and a Sister that are Examples to me. I am thankful for Christ's Atonement. Repentance. Temples. Friends. Tears. People who teach by example. Missionaries. Scriptures. The ability to Pray. Life. Good Health. Laughter. Skype. Love songs that make my heart beat a little faster. The smell after it rains. When kids do silly things. Good books to read. Ice cream on a warm day. Ice Cream on a cold day. Ice Cream in general. Mom's Chili. Leaves changing color. Watching a movie that makes you think, and teaches you something. That bubbling feeling inside when you get excited about something. Fresh snow with no footprints. Sand between my toes. Warm Showers. Blankets. Fire. That warm feeling inside when you feel the spirit. Music that makes you want to dance. Finding that pair of jeans that just fits. Little sticky kid fingers. telling someone you love them and meaning it. Hearing them say it back. Answers to prayers. When God doesn't answer your prayer because he wants you to figure it out yourself. Forever Families. Family Scripture and Prayer. mountains. Stars in the night sky. Public Transportation. iPods and headphones. Country dancing. Falling asleep to my favorite movies. Christmas lights. Family traditions. Going for a walk. That feeling when you know you are doing what is right because you just feel at home.

Okay... you get the idea, Once you get started, isn't it just hard to stop? There is so much to be grateful for. Don't you think? I hope you all just take time to realize it. And we shouldn't limit being thankful to one day a year... I hope you take time out of your busy lives to notice the little things that you are thankful for each day. And then if you look at one thing that you are thankful for... That brings up so many more things...take a look at one of mine... going for a walk. Well, I need my legs to get me somewhere so I am thankful for them too. and I need somewhere to walk so a side walk, a dirt road, just the ground you are walking on. Freedom. If I didn't have freedom I couldn't just walk when or where I please. Free Agency from the Lord. The ability to choose what I am going to do today and I'm going to decide whether or not I am going to be happy about it.
I think coming to China has helped me to look deeper into things and not think so superficially...
Alright well this post is getting a little long, I don’t want to bore you too much. I just want to say I hope you all had a Happy Thanksgiving. And I want everyone to know that I am truly thankful for everyone's love and support. Thanks for the emails and updates. I really do love and care about you.
So, Thanks.
Day 92

1 comment:

  1. This makes me happy (:
    I like to read the things you are grateful for they make me happy. They sound like it could be a cute quote. especially the last line," When you know you are doing the right thing becasue you feel at home." I might steal it.Once i was told de ja vu means you are on the right path.

    ReplyDelete